Spring Onion and Bacon Cornbread
A spring onion and bacon cornbread recipe that is great for bonfires and barbeques.
What you'll need:
- 240g (1.3 cups) coarse polenta
- 120g (1 cup) plain flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp sodium bicarbonate
- 300ml (1.3 cups) buttermilk
- 6 tbsp melted butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
How to prepare:
- Preheat the oven to fan-assisted 190C / 210C / 400F / gas 6 and put in a 9 inch cast iron skillet to heat up.
- Add the polenta, flour, baking powder, salt and sodium bicarbornate in a large bowl and mix.
- Stir in the buttermilk, butter and eggs until combined, before adding in the bacon and spring onions.
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven, lightly oil it and reduce the oven temperature to fan-assisted 170C / 190C / 375F/ gas 5.
- Pour the cornbread batter into the hot skillet, smooth it, transfer to the hot oven and bake for 25 mins.
- Remove from the oven, let it cool for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.