Best bacon bolognese sauce – Gluten Free..
Everyone thinks that theirs is the best. Kids annihilate it. It makes even the most incompetent chef feel like they’re deserving of a Michelin star. That’s right, we’re talking bolognese. Our bolognese recipe is a great ‘big batch’ dish and with our smoked streaky bacon it makes a great gluten free bolognese sauce to go with gluten free pasta, on a jacket potato or even, just on it’s own!
What you'll need:
- 400g lean minced beef (with approx. 15% fat content)
- 4tbsp light and mild olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, washed and finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 rashers spoiltpig streaky smoked bacon, chopped into small pieces
- 2tbsp mixed dried herbs
- 600g (1 ½ tins) chopped tomatoes
- 250ml red wine
- 2tbsp mushroom ketchup (or Worcestershire sauce)
- Salt and Pepper for seasoning
How to prepare:
Use a large, heavy based casserole dish and heat a small amount of the olive oil before adding the mince meat. Over a high heat, brown the meat off being sure to break it up so that none of the mince stays pink in colour. Once all browned, remove from the pan and put into a bowl, drain off any excess fat and wipe the pan clean.
Using the same heavy based pan, heat the remaining olive oil and gently fry off the onion, celery and carrots until softened but not coloured. Add the garlic, chopped spoiltpig bacon and herbs. Mix well and allow to cook gently for a further 4mins.
Stir in the tomatoes, wine and mushroom ketchup and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Return the mince to the pan and stir thoroughly. Simmer for approx. 1hr until the sauce has thickened nicely. Serve with gluten free pasta or allow to cool and freeze for use at a later date.